This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7978 / 51°47'52"N
Longitude: -4.677 / 4°40'37"W
OS Eastings: 215501
OS Northings: 214412
OS Grid: SN155144
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.XSN6
Mapcode Global: VH2P6.W29L
Entry Name: War Memorial
Listing Date: 15 October 1997
Last Amended: 15 October 1997
Source ID: 18989
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In a recess formed in the S wall of the churchyard, facing the village street.
Community: Lampeter Velfrey (Llanbedr Felfre)
Community: Lampeter Velfrey
Locality: Lampeter Velfrey Village
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
War Memorial of the Great War, unveiled in 1921 by P Davidson, a local man crippled in the war.
Grey granite war-memorial consisting of a Celtic cross with tapering shaft and interlace decoration, standing on a two-part base, the upper part tapering and bearing the inscribed names of the fallen from the parish of Lampeter Velfrey in the Great War. The lower part of the base is a square block upon which a marble slab has been fixed to record the fallen of the Second World War.
The memorial stands on a concrete plinth with chamfered top edge. It is set at the front of a flight of four rounded limestone steps rising to the rear, all within a half-round recess in the churchyard wall faced in battered roughly-coursed limestone masonry.
Listed as a good eample of a Celtic revival war memorial, which forms a group with the Church of Saint Peter.
Other nearby listed buildings