This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7632 / 51°45'47"N
Longitude: -4.676 / 4°40'33"W
OS Eastings: 215433
OS Northings: 210562
OS Grid: SN154105
Mapcode National: GBR GF.K4L5
Mapcode Global: VH2P6.WYW5
Entry Name: East Limekiln at Kiln Park, Blaencilgoed
Listing Date: 15 October 1997
Last Amended: 15 October 1997
Source ID: 18993
Building Class: Industrial
Location: In a quarry (Kiln Park) at S of lane about 500 m E of Blaencilgoed farm, Ludchurch
Community: Lampeter Velfrey (Llanbedr Felfre)
Community: Lampeter Velfrey
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Remains of a probably mid-C19 limekiln, one of a group of six in an extensive area of quarrying. Three kilns to the S of the road are in Kiln Park (three to the N of the road are in Croft Quarries). Quarrying at both sites is indicated (graphically or by field-name) on Picton estate plans of c.1850, and all six kilns are marked as 'old limekilns' on the 1887 Ordnance Survey plan.
In 1839 both Croft Quarries and Kiln Park were land of Sir R B P Philipps, tenant David Lewis.
Well preserved semicircular kiln, surviving to about 6 m in height. Rubble limestone roughly brought to courses, with small offsets at intervals to achieve a slight batter. Numerous beam or putlog holes in face of the masonry. The kiln stands against high ground with revetment wings each side. Opposed working apertures each with corbelling and an arch at front. At the E side there is the remnant of a hut built into the revetment wall.
Listed as one of a good group of large quarry limekilns of C19 date.
Other nearby listed buildings