This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7646 / 51°45'52"N
Longitude: -4.6786 / 4°40'43"W
OS Eastings: 215255
OS Northings: 210720
OS Grid: SN152107
Mapcode National: GBR GF.K3WK
Mapcode Global: VH2P6.VXG4
Entry Name: West Limekiln at Croft Quarries, Blaencilgoed
Listing Date: 15 October 1997
Last Amended: 15 October 1997
Source ID: 18994
Building Class: Industrial
Location: In a quarry (Croft Quarries) at N of lane about 300 m NE of Blaencilgoed farm, Ludchurch
Community: Lampeter Velfrey (Llanbedr Felfre)
Community: Lampeter Velfrey
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Remains of an early C19 limekiln, one of a group of six in an extensive area of quarrying. Three kilns to the N of the road are in Croft Quarries (three to the S of the road are in Kiln Park). Quarrying at both sites is indicated (graphically or by field-name) on Picton estate plans of c.1850, and all six kilns are marked as 'old limekilns' on the 1887 Ordnance Survey plan.
In 1839 both Croft Quarries and Kiln Park were land of Sir R B P Philipps, tenant David Lewis.
Well preserved boldly-projecting semicircular kiln, about 10 m diameter and about 8 m in height. Uncoursed rubble limestone. Numerous beam or putlog holes in face of the masonry. The kiln stands against high ground with revetment wings each side. Opposed working apertures each with corbelling and an arch at front. A small parapet survives at the top.
Listed as one of a good group of large quarry limekilns of late C18/early C19 date.
Other nearby listed buildings