This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2897 / 53°17'22"N
Longitude: -3.6386 / 3°38'18"W
OS Eastings: 290870
OS Northings: 378222
OS Grid: SH908782
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z1D.1G
Mapcode Global: WH657.2KMX
Entry Name: Memorial Cross at St Cynbryd's Church
Listing Date: 12 November 1997
Last Amended: 12 November 1997
Source ID: 19025
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located immediately to the E of the parish church, within the churchyard and at the centre of a gravelled burial plot.
Community: Llanddulas and Rhyd-y-Foel (Llanddulas a Rhyd-y-Foel)
Community: Llanddulas and Rhyd-y-Foel
Built-Up Area: Llanddulas
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Memorial cross designed by Harold Hughes, architect of Bangor in 1912 to commemorate the Hesketh/Dundonald family of Gwrych Castle.
Celtic cross of white marble, standing approximately 5m high and tapering slightly towards the top. Of three sections, the cross proper stands on a slightly-splayed plinth, itself resting upon a square base. The front (W) face has bold Celtic relief carving with 4 circular motifs, each containing 5 bosses and linked to each other by zoomorphic interlace. Similar decoration to the cross-head with cable and guilloche decoration, and mythological bird reliefs; lamb-and-flag carving in the central roundel of the E (rear) face of the cross-head. The N, S and E faces of the shaft have standard Celtic interlace relief carving.
Included for Group Value with St. Cynbryd's church.
Other nearby listed buildings