This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.535 / 51°32'5"N
Longitude: -3.4883 / 3°29'17"W
OS Eastings: 296869
OS Northings: 182835
OS Grid: SS968828
Mapcode National: GBR HJ.GF9J
Mapcode Global: VH5HD.HP74
Entry Name: Barn at Bryngwenith
Listing Date: 13 November 1997
Last Amended: 13 November 1997
Source ID: 19046
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated on low lying ground N of Pencoed, at the end of a short track. The barn forms the E side of the farmyard with a range of masonry and concrete stables extending to the N. The farmhouse is to
Community: Coychurch Higher (Llangrallo Uchaf)
Community: Coychurch Higher
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The style would suggest a C18 date. The layout, with its aligned front and rear entrances, is typical of a corn barn of this period used for storage and threshing. A building is shown at Bryngwenith Farm on Yates’ map of 1799.
Three-bay corn barn with centrally placed doorways to front and rear. The central bay is advanced to the front. Constructed of coursed masonry under a slate roof. The wide front entrance contains planked double doors under a basket-arched head with voussoirs, flanked by ventilation slits to L and R. The rear appears to have a similar but higher doorway flanked by ventilation slits, perhaps suggesting that laden wagons entered from this side. The S gable end contains one ventilation slit at ground level. The stable is attached to the N gable end and there are no openings above. The accessway into the barn consists of raised cobbles.
Well preserved timber beams, poles and panelling inside, including a loft at the south end. Viewed from the exterior only. The roof structure was not visible.
Listed as an exceptionally well preserved and unaltered regional example of a traditional Welsh agricultural building before the mechanisation of farming.
Other nearby listed buildings