This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5485 / 51°32'54"N
Longitude: -3.4833 / 3°28'59"W
OS Eastings: 297248
OS Northings: 184332
OS Grid: SS972843
Mapcode National: GBR HJ.FNJY
Mapcode Global: VH5HD.KBXR
Entry Name: Zoar Chapel
Listing Date: 13 November 1997
Last Amended: 13 November 1997
Source ID: 19047
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in a prominent position where two lanes cross. To the N the land rises up steeply to the Mynydd y Gaer. The chapel and its vestry are fronted by a low wall with iron railings. Two piers wi
Community: Coychurch Higher (Llangrallo Uchaf)
Community: Coychurch Higher
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Calvinistic Methodist chapel built in 1876, replacing an earlier chapel of 1851. Daughter chapel of Salem, Pencoed, both were designed by Rev. William Jones of Pentre Ystrad and built by Edmund Rees, the cost of Soar being £600.
Simple classical style with 3-bay gable-end facade. Rendered and pebble dashed under a slate roof with wooden boarded eaves and verges. Concrete rendered plinth and dressings. The facade has wood planked double doors under an arched head with fan light. It is flanked by tall multi-pane windows with round heads and stone sills. There is a similar but shorter window above the doorway. In the gable is a circular vent with a tablet below stating:
SOAR / TREFNYDDION CALVINAIDD / 1876.
The rear is plain except for a vent in the gable. The side walls are 2-window, the windows having arched heads and stone sills but without dressings. Each window has a 4-pane sash at the base with multi-pane glazing above including radial glazing beneath the arch. Though the sashes are later, the glazing above is original. There is a wide pilaster between the windows on the E side.
The interior contains a 3-sided gallery supported on simple cast iron columns. The gallery front is of polished wood with moulded recessed panels. Between each panel is a white painted pilaster with console. There are 3 rows of panelled pews in the gallery. The ceiling has a moulded cornice and a fine decorated ceiling rose in the centre, with 4 rosettes in the corners. At ground floor level are 6 rows of box-style pews with carved raked ends. There is a vestibule to the rear with access to the ground floor and gallery. The simple set fawr is C20. Behind it is a blind arch with plain pilasters, fluted consoles and moulded round arch.
Listed as a well-proportioned rural chapel associated with early industrial development in the area, and retaining its original character.
Other nearby listed buildings