This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1487 / 53°8'55"N
Longitude: -3.009 / 3°0'32"W
OS Eastings: 332612
OS Northings: 361756
OS Grid: SJ326617
Mapcode National: GBR 75.5MKX
Mapcode Global: WH88K.R3BZ
Entry Name: Kinnerton Lodge
Listing Date: 13 November 1997
Last Amended: 13 November 1997
Source ID: 19075
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated within its own enclosed grounds and reached by a private drive running west off Kinnerton Lane, north of its junction with Leicester Lane. The private drive is entered through a set of classi
Community: Higher Kinnerton (Kinnerton Uchaf)
Community: Higher Kinnerton
Traditional County: Flintshire
Early 19th century villa believed to have been built for the Topham family of Liverpool who founded Aintree racecourse although there is some sugestion it may originally have been an official residence of the Town Clerk of Chester. An estate map of 1830 includes a lithograph of the building by the architect T M Penson of Chester. Subsequently acquired by the Collinge family who, under James Collinge, undertook some minor remodelling in the late 19th century on this and other estate properties.
Regency villa of two storeys, rendered brick on stone base with later additions to rear service wings to form a domestic courtyard. Grey slate roof with wide projecting eaves containing thin dentilations. Principal facade of three bays including semi-circular projecting middle bay with shallow stone steps at ground floor leading up to semi-circular glazed doors set in larger glazed opening. Above is a large central window with stone cill to the first floor. Bays to the left and right have twelve pane sash windows, replaced to ground floor right. Side elevation to the left return is of two bays with twelve pane sash windows to the first floor and one large twenty five pane sash window to ground floor with margin panes similar to the principle facade. To the left a doorcase of shallow fluted pilasters and consoles with rectangular fanlight between. Late Victorian four panel half-glazed door. Glazed canopy to the ground floor supported by three pairs of cast iron columns of classical design attached at their bases by quatrefoil panels and above their capitals by decorative open iron work. Side elevation to the right return is of two storeys with two twelve pane sash windows to each floor and late 19th century two storey addition with twelve pane sash windows. Barge boards with trefoiled openings to top and bottom. Further to the rear is a later single storey extension with Ruabon dressings. Rear elevation of three storeys is contained within a small domestic courtyard enclosed in the late 19th century. Sash windows of sixteen panes to the ground floor, twelve panes to the first floor, and eight to the second floor. Centrally placed doorcase of shallow fluted pilasters with consoles above and rectangular fanlight.
The original internal layout remains largely including a cantilevered stone staircase and, to rear, a small staircase to the servants quarters with decorative cast iron rails. To the Dining Room a black marble surround with arched opening keystone and shelf. To the Drawing Room a fire surround of similar design in white marble. To the first floor sitting room a white marble fire surround with straight headed opening and carved classical floral motif.
Listed as a good example of a Regency villa in its original setting and retaining much of its original character.
Other nearby listed buildings