This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8246 / 51°49'28"N
Longitude: -5.1066 / 5°6'23"W
OS Eastings: 186012
OS Northings: 218560
OS Grid: SM860185
Mapcode National: GBR CD.W807
Mapcode Global: VH1RB.FDPM
Entry Name: Nolton Chapel
Listing Date: 13 November 1997
Last Amended: 13 November 1997
Source ID: 19084
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in Nolton Haven village, on hillside S of the bay, set in walled forecourt.
Community: Nolton and Roch (Nolton a'r Garn)
Community: Nolton and Roch
Locality: Nolton Haven
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Independent Chapel of 1857-8, founded from Trefgarn Owen. Interior alterations including a new pulpit are recorded in 1907 and renovation in 1923.
Chapel, Nolton sandstone, ashlar for front, rubble stone for sides, and slate roof. Gable facade in classical style, with giant pilasters, moulded entablature and coped gable pediement. Pilasters have moulded bases and caps, entablature is deep but without projecting cornice. Above are two triangular finial blocks at outer ends and pediment with thin verge moulding. Between pilasters are three tall arched recesses, the outer ones with inset long arched windows with stone sills and marginal glazing bars. Centre has inset slate plaque `Nolton Chapel 1858', the long plaque square with rebated half-circles above and below. Arched centre doorway with 4-panel door and fanlight with marginal glazing bars.
Similar long windows to sides, 3 to N one to S. Deeply eroded stonework.
Chapel house attached to rear, with N door and one-window range, stone voussoirs to ground floor openings. Right end small chimneystack and coped gable.
Coved ceiling with centre ornate plaster rose. Plaster arch behind pulpit. Pulpit with canted front, cast-iron scrolled panels to sides, stairs up each side with iron rails. End gallery with timber panels between pilasters, on timber columns, 2 full columns, two half-columns.
One of the more architecturally ambitious chapel facades of the region, with classical pilastered front in ashlar stone. The best local example of the Nolton sandstone.
Other nearby listed buildings