This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1331 / 53°7'59"N
Longitude: -3.0942 / 3°5'39"W
OS Eastings: 326887
OS Northings: 360104
OS Grid: SJ268601
Mapcode National: GBR 71.6QVM
Mapcode Global: WH77D.FHSZ
Entry Name: Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 5 December 1997
Last Amended: 5 December 1997
Source ID: 19104
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at the corner of Oak Park and King Street, set back slightly from the road and behind low brick walls mounted with iron railings.
Community: Leeswood and Pontblyddyn
Built-Up Area: Leeswood
Traditional County: Flintshire
Built in 1865 as detached chapel, enlarged in the later C19 by the addition of a Sunday School wing.
Rectangular chapel with 3-bay pedimented façade facing street brown brick, ashlar quoins now painted white, pedimented gable with inserted datestone 'AD 1865'. Moulded stone cornice, slate roof. Central double doorway with ashlar architrave painted white. Window to either side with similar ashlar architrave. Frosted glazing with margin lights and coloured glass. Ashlar string course with 3 windows above, similar to those below. Side elevations of rubble stone construction each with 5 windows with glazing pattern similar to front elevation.
Simple classical interior without gallery. Entrance porch contains 2 doors into main chapel. Pitch pine pews with 2 side aisles facing centrally placed 'set fawr' above which is a recessed arch with moulded architrave finished by decorative plaster consoles. 'Set fawr' platform surrounded by carved wooden balustrading. All windows have distinctive detailing including moulded cornice with consoles. Window jambs are decorated with slim plaster architrave finished at the cill level with a plasterwork classical female head. Ceiling subdivided in to 5 sections each containing decorative ceiling rose.
Listed as a well preserved and interesting example of a mid C19 chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings