This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1425 / 53°8'32"N
Longitude: -3.0892 / 3°5'20"W
OS Eastings: 327243
OS Northings: 361145
OS Grid: SJ272611
Mapcode National: GBR 72.603H
Mapcode Global: WH77D.J86R
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 5 December 1997
Last Amended: 5 December 1997
Source ID: 19113
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in a walled churchyard, set back from the S side of the A541, to the NW of Pontblyddyn.
Community: Leeswood and Pontblyddyn
Traditional County: Flintshire
1836 designed by John Lloyd, chancel added in 1865-6 by Lloyd Williams & Underwood. W porch added in 1906.
Aisless rectangular church in plain early Gothic Revival style with stepped down and narrower chancel. Liturgical N side is faced with dressed stone, slate roof. Unusually narrow W tower with pyramid spire. Nave with 4 simple 2-light windows with slender stone Y-tracery, dressed stone surrounds. Tower contains a number of simple lancet windows, bell-cote has 3-light mullioned opening to each face. Chancel is stepped down from the Nave area and is narrower, added 1865-6 in similar style, faced with dressed stone with lancet windows and angle buttresses. E window much more elaborate with geometric tracery, decorative hoodmould. Liturgical S side away from the road is of stone rubble construction with 3 windows to nave, all having different tracery; 1 original Y-traceried window the others later C19 with Decorated tracery; disturbance in the masonry indicates that these windows have been inserted later.
Nave with central aisle, late C19 pews. Early W end gallery, supported by 2 cast-iron columns painted white. Boarded gallery front also painted white. Coved common rafter roof probably dating to 1865-6 alterations. Later Chancel is of a narrower width than the Nave, tiled floor. Stained glass including windows by William Wailes. Chancel includes memorial window for William Wynn Eyton dated June 6th, 1857 and records that he served at Trafalgar with Nelson when aged 11 years.
Listed as a well preserved C19 church with origins as an early example of the Gothic Revival.
Other nearby listed buildings