This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.135 / 53°8'6"N
Longitude: -3.0799 / 3°4'47"W
OS Eastings: 327850
OS Northings: 360306
OS Grid: SJ278603
Mapcode National: GBR 72.6GCN
Mapcode Global: WH77D.NGLH
Entry Name: Garden Walls and Gateway to S and W of Fferm Farmhouse
Listing Date: 5 December 1997
Last Amended: 12 September 2001
Source ID: 19116
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on the S and W sides of Fferm Farmhouse on the N side of the A541.
Community: Leeswood and Pontblyddyn
Traditional County: Flintshire
Probably late C16/early C17 stone rubble walls forming 2 walled gardens to the S and W of Fferm Farmhouse. The erection of the walls and creation of the gardens is thought to be roughly contemporary with the building of the main house. Both gardens are shown on the 1721-42 and 1766 surveys of the property. The character and building stone, lamellar limestone are similar to those at Plas Teg. The NW corner of the orchard enclosure contains an arched gateway which is thought to have originally been sited in the N wall of the main forecourt to Fferm Farmhouse. The Orchard enclosure was slightly reduced in size in the 1950s when the present A541 was widened.
Late C16 stone rubble walls forming 2 enclosed areas of garden and orchard. The compartment immediately behind the house is smaller, with a low stone wall on 2 sides. The other compartment, lies to the W and is rectangular in shape. The stone wall is approx. 2.5m in height and is topped by C19 upright coping stones. In NW corner is a late C17 arched gateway, with dressed sandstone voussoirs, modern gate.
Listed as a good example of a nearly complete complex of late C16 walled gardens and for group value with Fferm Farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings