History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Dale, Pembrokeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.699 / 51°41'56"N

Longitude: -5.2736 / 5°16'25"W

OS Eastings: 173878

OS Northings: 205107

OS Grid: SM738051

Mapcode National: GBR G1.32VK

Mapcode Global: VH0VC.JKXC

Entry Name: The Cottage

Listing Date: 10 December 1997

Last Amended: 10 December 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19146

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on Skokholm Island, on the plateau W of the landing stage.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: Marloes and St. Brides (Marloes a Sain Ffrêd)

Community: Dale

Locality: Skokholm Island

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Marloes

History

Farmhouse, said to date from c1690, but the present house probably of the later C18. Richard Fenton wrote in 1810: 'There is a dwelling-house on it, built after a whimsical manner by a gentleman, a former tenant, with suitable farm offices'. The island has been part of the Dale Castle estate since the C18 or earlier. From 1927 it was tenanted by the naturalist and author R.M. Lockley, and since the 1940s has been managed by the Wildlife Trust West Wales. The farmhouse is used as common-room and visitor accommodation. The unusual shape with roof swept down each side over outshuts is echoed on a larger scale at the former Rectory in St Brides.

Exterior

Farmhouse, whitewashed rubble stone with whitewashed grouted roof (renewed with imitation slates) and one large rendered stack on N roof slope said to be of brick. One and a half storeys, unusual plan with single centre room with loft over and long roof outshuts each side to provide ground floor service rooms. Gables are raised and cemented. E gable end has loft window, 4-pane, ground floor centre casement pair and outshut end windows, a single casement left, a pair right. N side has one outshut window to right, S side one similar to left. W end has one window to left. Central original gabled porch, built out further with N door and small window to right, to link with low single storey outbuilding across W end. Another addition, possibly earlier C20 with parallel gabled roof is along rear of porch range, asbestos slate roof, large C20 windows to S and W end.

Interior

Single centre room with N fireplace and 2 doors off each side into outshuts, now bedrooms. One C18 2-panel fielded-panelled door to N wall right. Rough boarded floor, some oak. Bead-mould to joists. Rough loft stairs. Loft has renewed collar-trusses to roof. Original porch, now internal has seats each side and W doorway, timber lintel, ledged main door.

Reasons for Listing

A small farmhouse of picturesque and unusual form, probably C18, in superb setting.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.