This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.491 / 52°29'27"N
Longitude: -4.0497 / 4°2'59"W
OS Eastings: 260928
OS Northings: 290094
OS Grid: SN609900
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.J1KD
Mapcode Global: VH4DZ.RNF8
Entry Name: Borth Station
Listing Date: 8 December 1997
Last Amended: 8 December 1997
Source ID: 19150
Building Class: Transport
Location: Situated towards the northern end of Borth, to E of main street, facing up Cambrian Terrace.
Community: Borth (Y Borth)
Built-Up Area: Borth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1863-4, railway station built for the railway promoter Thomas Savin on his Machynlleth to Aberystwyth line. George Jones of Aberystwyth was clerk of the works for Savin's hotel and old and new stations at Borth according to a court case in 1872. The station design is very similar to the original part of Aberystwyth station 1864.
Red-brown brick with sandstone ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs. Symmetrically planned. Long single storey main range, with five single tall brick stacks. Two projecting hipped wings to front, both two-storey, to same roof height, left wing with stack on roof hip. Flat eaves with moulded timber cornice. Main range openings have raised ashlar surrounds with pilasters, pyramid faceted caps and bases, depressed arches with similar faceted keystones, and stopped quarter-round mouldings to edges. Roundel motif in timber over windows and doors, some glazed, some blank. Ashlar rusticated angle quoins and ashlar chamfered courses to raised plinth.
W front has three windows left of broader central door, and two wider-spaced to right. Originally 4-pane sashes to windows, some altered. Wings have square-headed openings with similar quarter-round stopped mouldings. Left wing has three bays to S and three to W, square upper windows with timber cornice moulding broken forward over, and slightly larger ground floor windows, centre S window altered to door. 4-pane horned sashes. Rusticated ashlar quoins. One window each floor on N wall. To left is end of main range with 4 brick-headed windows and one stone-framed window, ashlar angle quoins. Right wing, Station House, has two window N front with first floor 4-pane and 6-pane sashes, ground floor left 6-pane sash, lengthened, and door to right, square-headed with C20 door and overlight. W side has 3-window range similar to W side of left wing. S rear has C20 windows and continuation of main range to right is altered, but has quoins and remnant of demolished low store at S end also with quoins.
E front to platform has later steel platform canopy. Single long range with arched windows and doors, similar to W front. 20 openings, larger windows to centre and right (A), smaller windows to left (B) and doors either 6-panel or double 6-panel (C), in sequence from left A B B B B C B B A C A A C C A C A C C A.
Altered. Stone fireplace in centre ticket-hall.
Listed as an elaborate station with house of the Italianate style. Of historical interest as part of Thomas Savin's grandiose plan to develop railway tourism to West Wales, of which the demolished Cambrian Hotel, Borth, and Castle Hotel (Old College), Aberystwyth, were part.
Other nearby listed buildings