This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9866 / 51°59'11"N
Longitude: -4.7267 / 4°43'36"W
OS Eastings: 212862
OS Northings: 235522
OS Grid: SN128355
Mapcode National: GBR CX.K06N
Mapcode Global: VH2N7.1B1G
Entry Name: Rhostwarch
Listing Date: 10 December 1997
Last Amended: 10 December 1997
Source ID: 19165
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Reached via lane running S from B4329, some 400m W of Crosswell, and drive running E some 900m S.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Substantial farmhouse dated 1788, but probably incorporating earlier work. Called the seat of John Howells, gent in 1746. In 1786 owned by the Rev. John Howels, John Griffiths, tenant. Rebuilt 1788 by John Griffith (date-plaque). Howel Harris, pioneer Methodist, stayed at Rhostwarch, December 1740. Owned continuously since early C19 by Phillips family, David Phillip owner on 1842 Tithe Map.
Farmhouse, pebbledash, formerly whitewashed rubble stone, with imitation slate roof, and rendered stone end stacks, larger stack to right. Roof was of grouted slate until 1961. Two-storey, three-window broad facade with later C19 horned sash windows, with marginal glazing bars. Cemented sills. Ground floor left window is not aligned with one above, which seems to have been enlarged. Centre C20 door. Right end wall has eroded date plaque. Left end has first floor casement pair and part-blocked ground floor window. Outshut rear, roofed in asbestos sheet, catslide raised roof over centre small 6-pane stair-light.
Ground floor rooms step down, suggesting an earlier house enlarged, and upper left end has very thick walls. Ceilings are boarded, concealing beams and joists. Small dog-leg rear stair with stick balusters, painted graining. Six-panel door from hall to left parlour, 4-panel to kitchen, to right. Parlour has deep chimney breast, and part-blocked window in recess to right. Wall-cupboard with glazed doors on rear wall. Kitchen has large fireplace behind modern stove with massive timber-lintel, the lintel forked, and bread oven within.
A substantial farmhouse of 1788, possibly incorporating parts of a much older house.
Other nearby listed buildings