This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5303 / 51°31'49"N
Longitude: -3.6945 / 3°41'40"W
OS Eastings: 282557
OS Northings: 182629
OS Grid: SS825826
Mapcode National: GBR H7.GX07
Mapcode Global: VH5H8.XS7Q
Entry Name: Churchyard Cross in St James' churchyard, Pyle
Listing Date: 2 January 1998
Last Amended: 2 January 1998
Source ID: 19173
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The church of St James is at the N end of the village of Pyle. The churchyard cross is set approximately 9m S of the S porch.
Community: Pyle (Y Pîl)
Built-Up Area: Pyle
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The base is medieval, the head and shaft a restoration of 1925. Probably a preaching cross pre-dating the building of the present church at this spot in 1471.
Limestone. The medieval base of 4 high steps, the lower having a projecting nosing, totalling approximately 3.3m square. The top step carries a square plinth with a hollow chamfered skirt and a chamfered top, on which is mounted a tapered square section shaft, the angles chamfered, rising approximately 3m to a decorated capital. The shaft and crucifix head are a replacement of 1925. Two sections of the original shaft lie by the W side of the porch.
Included as a substantial example of a relatively rare type of monument surviving from the middle ages. Of group value with St James' Church.
Other nearby listed buildings