This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5335 / 51°32'0"N
Longitude: -3.6783 / 3°40'41"W
OS Eastings: 283685
OS Northings: 182955
OS Grid: SS836829
Mapcode National: GBR H8.GMHK
Mapcode Global: VH5H9.6Q89
Entry Name: The Talbot Institute
Listing Date: 2 January 1998
Last Amended: 2 January 1998
Source ID: 19177
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: The building is set in a terrace of C19 buildings, approximately 100m from the junction of Princes Road with Commercial Road.
Community: Pyle (Y Pîl)
Locality: Kenfig Hill
Built-Up Area: Pyle
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1911 as a working man's institute at the cost of £2,000 presented by Miss Talbot of Margam. It was in 3 sections, one for games containing two billiard tables, one for newspaper reading, and the third a library with 4000 volumes, and including an area for magazines.
Built of rock-faced squared rubble with stone dressings, slate roof. Meeting hall with service rooms to the rear. Gabled front elevation to the street; central doorway, the quoins with arris staff rolls and capital band from which springs a voussoired arch with a moulded hood. Later doors inserted under a cambered tympanum. One paned timber window each side, also quoined and with a label drip mould slightly cambered at the centre. A similar paned window above the door and a keyed oculus in the gable head. Cusped timber bargeboards with iron finial. The side walls are pebbledashed, with five brick-dressed windows and end doors each side, the windows 4-paned with top hung vents.
The interior of the hall is of 6 bays, with open trusses and boarded ceiling.
Included as a substantially unaltered multi-purpose social and educational building for working men and miners in the industrial areas of S Wales, unusual in that it was paid for by a major landowning family rather than by the workers themselves.
Other nearby listed buildings