This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2231 / 53°13'23"N
Longitude: -3.424 / 3°25'26"W
OS Eastings: 305022
OS Northings: 370504
OS Grid: SJ050705
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.0W7G
Mapcode Global: WH76V.C7RZ
Entry Name: Lychgate at Holy Trinity Church
Listing Date: 9 January 1998
Last Amended: 9 January 1998
Source ID: 19199
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently located on the roadside in front of the church and set into the stone churchyard boundary wall.
Built-Up Area: Trefnant
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Holy Trinity was a memorial church erected to the memory of Colonel John Lloyd Salusbury of Galltfaenan Hall by his daughters Mrs Townsend Mainwaring and Mrs Charles Mainwaring. The church was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, architect of London and was conceived in his characteristic 'middle-pointed' style of the late C13/early C14. The lychgate is part of the original group and was in place by 1856.
Canopy-type lychgate with steep copper-green, Westmoreland slate pitched roof, supported on a pair of braced wooden posts; chamfered limestone ashlar plinth. The posts and their curved braces are stopped-chamfered (broach stops) and support a central crown post truss; the gable sides are open, their upper sections each with 3 trefoil-headed openings and plain framing above. Contemporary oak half-gates with open framing containing decorative wrought ironwork to the upper and plain ironwork to the lower sections; stopped-chamfered detail throughout and carved geometric tops to newel posts.
Included for group value with Holy Trinity Church.
Other nearby listed buildings