This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2228 / 53°13'22"N
Longitude: -3.4249 / 3°25'29"W
OS Eastings: 304967
OS Northings: 370479
OS Grid: SJ049704
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.0VZR
Mapcode Global: WH76V.C8C4
Entry Name: Former Rectory
Listing Date: 9 January 1998
Last Amended: 9 January 1998
Source ID: 19200
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the South-western edge of the village, 60m SW of the church; set back from the road behind a metalled forecourt.
Built-Up Area: Trefnant
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Rectory, built for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1860 to serve Holy Trinity Church at a cost of £867; the land was given by Townsend Mainwaring Esq, of Galltfaenan Hall and the architect chosen was Sir Gilbert Scott, who had earlier (1853) designed the church for the Mainwaring family.
Large gabled rectory in Tudor-Gothic style. Constructed of uncoursed, dressed, squared limestone blocks with tooled ashlar dressings on a chamfered plinth; original steeply-pitched roof of copper-green Westmoreland slates with oversailing, feathered eaves. Kneelered gable parapets with overlapping coping stones and tall chimneys with moulded cornices and capping. The main block is of 3 bays and 2 storeys plus attic. Central pointed-arched, chamfered opening to shallow porch projection; this is a flush ground-floor continuation of the projecting, gabled bay to the L. Deeply-recessed inner arch with chamfer and broach stops; boarded door with simple ironwork. Above the entrance is a rectangular light with chamfered jambs and modern glazing. The L bay has a wooden cross window to the ground floor with leaded upper lights and 4-pane lower; chamfered jambs as before and a splayed, projecting sill. Three-light stone mullioned window to the first floor with modern glazing and sill as before; in the gable apex a rectangular splayed vent. The right-hand bay has a ground-floor cross-window as before and a 2-light mullioned window to the first floor, with surmounting gable; 2-light casement window to attic within a large central gabled dormer, with simple decorative bargeboards and deep eaves and verges. All of the principal windows have expressed segmental or shallow-pointed relieving arches. Single-storey canted bay window advanced to R ( NE) side, with cross-windows as before; 2-light window to first floor with gable-light above. To the R, a large 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed window with further 3-light (stone) mullioned window above. Large plain-glazed stair window to centre at rear, with flanking gabled and projecting bays; that to the R has a modern 2-storey extension. A lower L-shaped service range adjoins the main block to the L, set back slightly; construction as before with roof hipped to L side (SW). This has a gable to the front with a single-storey lean-to projection below a squat 4-light mullioned window; pointed-arched entrance with boarded door to its L return. Modern glazed upper door with steel fire escape access.
The interiors are plain with 4- and 6-panel doors and a simple pitch-pine Victorian staircase.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a rectory designed as part of a parochial group by Sir Gilbert Scott, the renowned Victorian ecclesiastical architect.
Group value with the church, school and school house.
Other nearby listed buildings