This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2238 / 53°13'25"N
Longitude: -3.4235 / 3°25'24"W
OS Eastings: 305060
OS Northings: 370583
OS Grid: SJ050705
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.0WC2
Mapcode Global: WH76V.D70D
Entry Name: Trefnant School House
Listing Date: 9 January 1998
Last Amended: 9 January 1998
Source ID: 19202
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Adjoining the school to the rear (E) and set back slightly from the road.
Built-Up Area: Trefnant
Traditional County: Denbighshire
School master's house, built in 1860 as part of the Trefnant school complex and adjoining the school proper. Designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, architect of London; the land was given by Mr and Mrs Townsend Mainwaring of Galltfaenan Hall who had previously commissioned Scott to design the memorial church in 1853; the neighbouring rectory completes the Scott parochial group.
Schoolmaster's house in restrained Tudor-Gothic style, adjoining the school to the rear. Of uncoursed, roughly-dressed limestone blocks with tooled ashlar dressings; slate roofs with overlapping copings to gable parapets. Two staged chimneys with splayed sides, chamfered tops and cornice bands. Double-pile plan, the L (NW) pile advanced slightly and larger than that to the R; both have steep gables. The R (entrance) section has a shouldered arch with stopped-chamfered jambs (broach stops) and expressed, pointed relieving arch; original recessed, boarded door. Above, a rectangular window with chamfered jambs, splayed sill and iron-framed lozenge glazing (boarded at time of inspection, 7/97). A flush stepped buttress occupies the narrow R return between school house and the school proper (the former advanced slightly in front of the latter). The L pile has a 3-light mullioned window to the ground floor and a 2-light to the first, both with glazing as before and segmental and pointed relieving arches respectively; some replaced casement sections. Single light with 2-light window beyond to long L return (NW) and further, similar windows to first floors of paired, flush rear gables. That to the R (W) has a contemporary single-storey lean-to projection with overlapping parapets to slate roof; 2-light mullioned window to front and a single-light to the side. The L gable has a modern 2-storey flat-roofed extension of rendered brick. A small, contemporary walled service court with Ty Bach in one corner lies in front of the latter.
Plain contemporary interiors with 4-panel doors and a straight-flight pitch-pine stair with turned newel and plain balusters.
Listed for its special architectural interest as an attached school master's house, designed as part of a parochial group by Sir Gilbert Scott, the renowned Victorian ecclesiastical architect.
Group value with the church, rectory and the school, to which it is attached.
Other nearby listed buildings