This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2244 / 53°13'27"N
Longitude: -3.4219 / 3°25'18"W
OS Eastings: 305165
OS Northings: 370654
OS Grid: SJ051706
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.0WT0
Mapcode Global: WH76V.D6RX
Entry Name: The Trefnant Inn
Listing Date: 9 January 1998
Last Amended: 9 January 1998
Source ID: 19203
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Prominently located at the crossroads in the centre of the village.
Built-Up Area: Trefnant
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Former house (?) dated 1806, with adjacent stable range. This was extended to the S and reorientated eastwards in the third-quarter C19; at the same time the gap between primary house and stables appears to have been infilled.
L-shaped inn complex consisting of a 2-storey, 3-bay main section facing E, with the earlier section at right-angles to the SW, together with an adjoining stable range. Limestone rubble construction, the main (later C19) section of squared blocks, with slate roofs, that to the stable range of economical, overlapping type; plain end chimneys to the domestic ranges. The main section is symmetrical and has a central entrance with wooden doorcase and re-used, early C19 6-panel door (octagonal upper panels); segmental fanlight above. Recessed 12-pane flanking sash windows to ground floor, with projecting slate sills, plain slate lintels and modern external shutters; similar 9-pane windows to the first floor. The SW (earlier) section adjoins at right-angles, its NE gable advanced and with a modern window (formerly an entrance) to the ground floor. Of 3 bays and 2 stories, with a raised ground floor above basement. In the centre a blocked entrance with limestone voussoirs to cambered head (the door of the later section may have originated in this position); above this is an inset slate date plaque with the initials ME LL and the date 1806. Flanking this are 4-pane later C19 sashes in original brick-cambered openings, with a modern basement window to bottom L. Tall, 8-pane C19 sash window to upper floor at R, under the eaves; modern window to L. Further sash window to the rear of the main section with continuously-roofed brick outshut to L; single-storey brick extension with catslide roof to rear of primary block, with tall brick chimney.
Adjoining the primary block is a stable/agricultural range of two periods, the shorter first section being a later C19 infill and the longer, stepped-up section beyond being primary. The former has an external stone-stepped access to an upper catslide dormer entrance (now blocked), and a further blocked ground-floor opening to R. The main section has 3 segmentally-headed entrances with limestone voussoirs and boarded doors in pegged frames; between the last two a further, former entrance, now reduced to form a boarded window; 2 tiers of ventilation slits.Blocked opening to rear of this range at L with timber lintel; further ventilation slits and a large modern boarded entrance to R.
Plain, modernised interiors.
Included as a prominently-sited C19 village inn with late Georgian origins.
Other nearby listed buildings