This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2356 / 53°14'8"N
Longitude: -3.412 / 3°24'43"W
OS Eastings: 305852
OS Northings: 371880
OS Grid: SJ058718
Mapcode National: GBR 6M.05PR
Mapcode Global: WH76N.KXFX
Entry Name: Bottom Lodge and adjoining Gates and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 9 January 1998
Last Amended: 9 January 1998
Source ID: 19210
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the NE boundary of the community, approximately 1.2km NE of Trefnant village; sited on the NE side of the unclassified road from Trefnant to Tremeirchion.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Estate lodge and entrance gates, built as one of a number by Whitehall Dod of Llannerch Hall in 1870.
Single-storey gate lodge of uncoursed, dressed limestone blocks on a chamfered plinth, with slate roof and brown sandstone dressings; scribed, rendered rear. The primary section is J-shaped and the later addition reflects this, resulting in an E plan; coped gable parapets throughout. The main ( N) side faces the drive and has a single-storey gabled porch with large canted bay to the R. The former has stepped up entrance with Tudor-arched head and double-chamfered jambs; boarded and studded door with simple ironwork, trefoil light to gable apex above. The L return of the porch has a 2-light, arched-headed mullioned leaded window with, to the L (main block), a single-light flat-headed window; both sections have sandstone corbelling to the eaves. Single-light leaded windows to the faces of the bay, with further single-lights and eaves-corbelling to its return and to the recessed section at R; this has been extended by approximately 1m. The eastern (road-facing) side has a second gabled porch to the L of the primary lodge (now in the centre). This has a stopped-chamfered, square-headed entrance with modern panelled door; square lights to the returns. To the R, the advanced gable of the N section; this has a 2-light leaded window as before and above, a recessed, flattened Tudor-arched sandstone date-plaque with, in raised lettering, the date 1870. Star-shaped central chimney to primary N block on double-chamfered base with moulded and chamfered capping. The C20 addition to the L is of similar construction with 2-light window to the gabled front section (L); modern openings to side and rear and plain 2-stage chimney.
Adjoining to the N are the gates and gatepiers, with continuing bays on either side, forming a screen wall. Of snecked limestone ashlar with sandstone copings and simple iron railings with arcaded decoration. The 4 piers have chamfered corners and moulded pyramidal sandstone capping; simple iron gates with arcaded decoration to upper section and intersecting lozenges below. A contemporary low rubble forecourt wall adjoins to the S via a pair of simple iron gates and forms a curved forecourt boundary to the road-facing side of the lodge; stone copings and surmounting iron and wire fence.
Listed for its special interest as a mid-Victorian estate lodge and gates and for its group value with Llannerch Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings