History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Oystercatcher Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Trelales, Bridgend

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.5061 / 51°30'21"N

Longitude: -3.6202 / 3°37'12"W

OS Eastings: 287650

OS Northings: 179818

OS Grid: SS876798

Mapcode National: GBR HB.JB44

Mapcode Global: VH5HJ.6DJS

Entry Name: The Oystercatcher Public House

Listing Date: 29 January 1998

Last Amended: 29 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19240

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Just E of village centre facing main thoroughfare.

County: Bridgend

Community: Laleston (Trelales)

Community: Laleston

Built-Up Area: Trelales

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in


Probably C16 origin of main house with added wing left c 1700. Roof raised later and building refronted probably C18, possibly then a coaching inn. RCAHM Wales reported in 1972 remains of central fireplace with large timber bressummer, date of 1679 inscribed on lintel believed to be later, and winding stone staircase with cross slab roof adjacent; measured drawing 1980 amended 'now removed'.


The inn has a long street frontage of 6 bays. Left bay is pebbledashed, the rest rendered and painted, limewashed stone rubble to rear; artificial slate roof with rendered end stacks. Two storeys, windows on both are in deep reveals reflecting thickness of masonry, all 6/6 pane sashes, mostly unhorned, with sills, with painted relief surrounds and moulded shallow hoods to first floor, except far left which has a cambered head. Similar windows without hoods to ground floor; moulded vertical bands at each corner; central doorway with similar surround and remodelled double door with overlight; deep plinth by door, battered base to right; further doorway to end bay left is round arched with chamfered surround and boarded door. Recessed single storey wing right. Rear outshuts, few windows, access to cellar.


Surviving features reported by RCAHMW in 1972 no longer visible. Interior now open to end left and main fireplace is in wall of c 1700. Interior retains some probably C19 boarded dados, doors and window seats.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a characteristic village inn with a long building history and important street frontage within the village; group value with Village Farm House and Horeb Chapel.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.