History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cliff Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Trelales, Bridgend

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5062 / 51°30'22"N

Longitude: -3.6223 / 3°37'20"W

OS Eastings: 287504

OS Northings: 179835

OS Grid: SS875798

Mapcode National: GBR HB.J9LC

Mapcode Global: VH5HJ.5DDP

Entry Name: Cliff Cottage

Listing Date: 29 January 1998

Last Amended: 29 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19242

Building Class: Miscellaneous

Location: Opposite W end of Church of St David and on a rise above High Street.

County: Bridgend

Community: Laleston (Trelales)

Community: Laleston

Built-Up Area: Trelales

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Bridgend

History

Main house probably C18 with cottage addition right C19. First edition OS map appears to show it as Vicarage and tithe apportionment 1842 as in ownership of parish officers. Donated for community use by Sarah Anne Blandy Trust 1910 and continues thus. Restored 1975-82.

Exterior

Of stone rubble with some dressed stone dressings, pebble-dashed to W; Welsh slate roof, pebbel dashed end stacks. Plan comprises: house left, attached cottage front right, rear parallel wing left creating a double pile. Two storey 3 bay front left elevation has 6/6 pane sash windows with cambered arched voussoirs rendered later and sills; similar to ground floor either side of front doorway with pitched hood remodelled; former segmental arched carriage entrance right blocked with matching window inserted. Stepped up to right is a higher two bay cottage with full dormers, similar 6/6 pane sash windows with timber lintels and stone sills and small 4-pane window under eaves; similar ground floor windows with cambered arched voussoirs; rough plinth. Remodelled side elevation right with doorway under cambered brick arch. Some similar windows and doorway to rear which has also been substantially extended C20. Bordered by stone wall with iron lamp arch and decorative wrought iron gate to front.

Interior

Interior converted to community use.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for group value with the Church of St David and the Churchyard Cross as a mainly unaltered C18 frontage in a prominent position in the village.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.