This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8679 / 51°52'4"N
Longitude: -3.021 / 3°1'15"W
OS Eastings: 329795
OS Northings: 219311
OS Grid: SO297193
Mapcode National: GBR F5.SH8B
Mapcode Global: VH790.L98W
Entry Name: Bettws Chapel
Listing Date: 29 January 1998
Last Amended: 29 January 1998
Source ID: 19251
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In the centre of Bettws village.
Community: Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A medieval chapel-of-ease which was considerably rebuilt in the mid to late C19. It is not a part of the Llanvihangel Crucorney parish, but in Llantilio Pertholey. The earliest feature is the probably C13 east window. There are restorations recorded for 1820, 1829 (by John Pratt) and 1893, and the surviving appearance is very much of the final one when the south door was blocked and the new west door inserted, also the bellcote and the chimney were added. It has largely remained unchanged since then.
The medieval walling is of red sandstone rubble, the Victorian rebuilding is square cut and rock faced, and the openings are dressed in freestone, Welsh slate roof. Small rectangular single cell building. The entrance gable has a door in a pointed arch ashlar frame, above is a 2-light ashlar plate tracery window with stone mullion and trefoil heads. The apex carries a small bellcote, the right kneeler a tall ashlar stack with a round shaft and tapered top. The street elevation has a medieval doorway with pointed head, this is blocked and well above the current ground level. To the right of this a 2-light window as before. This wall has medieval masonry at the base, while the east gable is largely medieval with a 3-light window with lancet lights. Gable cross. The north wall was not seen at resurvey (May 1997).
Interior not seen at resurvey (May 1997). It is recorded as having Victorian fittings and a plastered interior which hides the evidence of its medieval origins.
Included as an example of a medieval chapel-of-ease partly rebuilt in the Victorian period.
Other nearby listed buildings