This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8794 / 51°52'45"N
Longitude: -3.0354 / 3°2'7"W
OS Eastings: 328820
OS Northings: 220602
OS Grid: SO288206
Mapcode National: GBR F4.RZMC
Mapcode Global: VH790.B1M1
Entry Name: Salem Presbyterian Chapel, with attached stable
Listing Date: 29 January 1998
Last Amended: 29 January 1998
Source ID: 19255
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In the centre of the Forest Coalpit settlement about 4km west of Llanvihangel Crucorney.
Community: Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr)
Locality: Forest Coal Pit
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A small chapel which appears to date from about 1830 which has an attached stable. The chapel has been little altered externally. Internally it appears to have some original fittings, but probably moved about, as the disused gable fireplace suggests. The chapel is recorded as having been founded by William Jones in 1816, but this building does look a bit later than that date.
Painted rubble with a Welsh slate roof. Single cell plan with attached lean-to stable to left and a modern timber porch. Gable end to road with entrance door inside porch. Above this is an 8 pane ogee headed window with dressed surround standing proud. The left long wall is mostly covered by the stable which has a plain plank door under a timber lintel. The right long wall has two segmental headed windows, 8 8 pane casements, 2 panes only to the left side of the second one. These windows may be an alteration from when the chapel was reoriented internally. The rear gable has a central truncated stack flanked by 6 over 6 sashes with horns. The chapel is set in a small graveyard with a number of well cut headstones.
Included as an example of a modest and little changed mid C19 rural chapel which retains the attached stable for the horse of the itinerant minister.
Other nearby listed buildings