History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tomb of Daniel (Chandler?) at Church of St Martin

A Grade II Listed Building in Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr), Monmouthshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9043 / 51°54'15"N

Longitude: -3.0198 / 3°1'11"W

OS Eastings: 329936

OS Northings: 223348

OS Grid: SO299233

Mapcode National: GBR F5.Q9KM

Mapcode Global: VH78T.LDXK

Entry Name: Tomb of Daniel (Chandler?) at Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 29 January 1998

Last Amended: 29 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19266

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: About 20 m east of the chancel of the Church of St Martin.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Abergavenny

Community: Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr)

Community: Crucorney

Locality: Cwmyoy

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Llanvihangel Crucorney

History

The earliest inscription is to Daniel...., the surname is illegible, who died in 1812. The style suggests that it was erected at that time.

Exterior

Limestone chest tomb. Rectangular with framed panels on each face. Horizontal tooling suggests corner pilasters. Roll moulding at top and flat slab with rolled edge. The oldest inscription is damaged, to Daniel..., died in 1812. Secondary inscription to Hannah Chandler, also died 1812.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good example of a neo-classical chest tomb. It has group value with the church and churchyard cross, and is the best example there.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Cross in St Martin's Churchyard
    10m south of the porch of the Church of St Martin.
  • I Church of St Martin
    In the centre of Cwmyoy village on the east slope of the Vale of Ewyas. It stands in a churchyard with a fine collection of well cut memorials.
  • II Ty Charles
    About 600 metres NE of Cwmyoy church, reached by track which begins at Pen-y-Wern.
  • II* Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farmhouse
    Impressively sited on steeply sloping ground uphill from Cwmyoy Church on the eastern slopes of the Vale of Ewyas; reached via a track from Penywern Farm. Retains stone forecourt wall and boundary wa
  • II Stables at Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farm
    Set into slope immediately opposite the farmhouse and within its forecourt. The farm lies approximately 1km uphill from Cwmyoy Church on the eastern slopes of the Vale of Ewyas; reached via a track f
  • II Barn at Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farm
    Set into the steep slope to north-east and downhill from Ty Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farmhouse. The farm lies approximately 1km uphill from Cwmyoy Church on the eastern slopes of the Vale of Ewyas; reached via
  • II Pen-yr-Heol Farmhouse
    Elevated site on the western side of the Vale of Ewyas opposite Cwmyoy; reached by a track off the by-road that runs up the valley from Llanvihangel Crucorney. Set in the slope with rubble walled fore
  • II Outhouse/Detached Kitchen at Coed Farm
    About 10m west of Coed Farmhouse.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.