This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9428 / 51°56'33"N
Longitude: -3.0381 / 3°2'17"W
OS Eastings: 328736
OS Northings: 227650
OS Grid: SO287276
Mapcode National: GBR F4.MYTT
Mapcode Global: VH78M.9F6J
Entry Name: Cottage 40m south of turning to Llanthony Priory
Listing Date: 29 January 1998
Last Amended: 29 January 1998
Source ID: 19269
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In the centre of Llanthony village about 40m from the junction of the valley road and the road to the Priory ruins.
Community: Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
An early C19, probably c1830-1840, Llanthony Estate cottage which may have earlier origins. It will have been built by the Estate during the ownership of Walter Savage Landor (1809-1864).
Red sandstone rubble with remains of paint, the right flank wall is painted, and stone tile roof, with Welsh slate to the rear wing. Symmetrical two storey central entry single depth cottage with later rear wing to right. Central porch with sloping tiled roof flanked by small 8 8 casements. These are repeated on the upper floor in gabled half dormers in the same plane as the wall. Gable end stacks. The left gable has a small window with dripmould over beside the stack. Single casement under timber lintel in the rear wing. Wall letter box in gable. Rear elevation not seen.
Intreior not inspected at the time of resurvey (April 1997).
Included as an unaltered Llanthony Estate cottage, one of the best remaining example in the valley.
Other nearby listed buildings