History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Outhouse/Detached Kitchen at Coed Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr), Monmouthshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8974 / 51°53'50"N

Longitude: -3.0204 / 3°1'13"W

OS Eastings: 329884

OS Northings: 222585

OS Grid: SO298225

Mapcode National: GBR F5.QPFH

Mapcode Global: VH78T.LKLT

Entry Name: Outhouse/Detached Kitchen at Coed Farm

Listing Date: 29 January 1998

Last Amended: 29 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19299

Building Class: Domestic

Location: About 10m west of Coed Farmhouse.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Abergavenny

Community: Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr)

Community: Crucorney

Locality: Cwmyoy

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Llanvihangel Crucorney

History

A C17 detached kitchen with accommodation over which became an agricultural outhouse when the farmhouse was improved by the Llanthony Estate in the early/mid C19 during the ownership of Walter Savage Landor (1809-1864). It had a cart shed added to the uphill end at this time.

Exterior

Red/grey sandstone rubble walls which have been painted, corrugated sheet metal roofing. Two storey single cell building which is almost square. The front has a door to the ground floor, which stands opposite the entry to the cross-passage of the farmhouse, and is featureless above, stone stack on left gable end. This gable is covered by the late added shed. Entry to upper room is in this gable. The other gable has one window over two; the rear elevation is featureless.

Interior

The interior of the ground floor retains its fireplace and copper. The upstairs room was presumably the cook's accommodation. It has a principal rafter truss with raking struts and two tiers of trenched purlins. The collar is missing; the secondary rafters are original but the roof has been recovered above.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an example of a detached kitchen having strong group value with the adjacent Coed Farmhouse.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Coed Farmhouse
    On the west side of the valley road about 1200m north west of the Queen's Head Inn and almost opposite Cwmyoy village.
  • II Pen-yr-Heol Farmhouse
    Elevated site on the western side of the Vale of Ewyas opposite Cwmyoy; reached by a track off the by-road that runs up the valley from Llanvihangel Crucorney. Set in the slope with rubble walled fore
  • II Cross in St Martin's Churchyard
    10m south of the porch of the Church of St Martin.
  • II Tomb of Daniel (Chandler?) at Church of St Martin
    About 20 m east of the chancel of the Church of St Martin.
  • I Church of St Martin
    In the centre of Cwmyoy village on the east slope of the Vale of Ewyas. It stands in a churchyard with a fine collection of well cut memorials.
  • II Pont Rhys Powell Farmhouse
    On the Cwmyoy road about 350m north of the Queen's Head Inn.
  • II Granary and Stable at Pont Rhys Powell Farm
    On the Cwmyoy road about 350m north of the Queen's Head Inn. Built in line with the farmhouse and to the right of it.
  • II Ty Charles
    About 600 metres NE of Cwmyoy church, reached by track which begins at Pen-y-Wern.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.