This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9676 / 51°58'3"N
Longitude: -3.0639 / 3°3'50"W
OS Eastings: 327005
OS Northings: 230436
OS Grid: SO270304
Mapcode National: GBR F3.LBLQ
Mapcode Global: VH78D.VT30
Entry Name: Garn-fawr Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 January 1998
Last Amended: 29 January 1998
Source ID: 19300
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the very north end of the Community on the east bank of Afon Honddu and approached off the valley road at Tafolog Bridge.
Community: Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr)
Locality: Upper Llanthony
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A new build farmhouse by the Llanthony Estate dating probably from 1830-40 during the ownership of Walter Savage Landor (1809-1864).
Squared and snecked roughly coursed red sandstone rubble with stone tile roof. Built as two houses but now one. To the left a central entry two storey house. Door with segmental head with 4 X 3 metal casements except to the right of the door which has a 6 X 3 one. The left window and the door have arched heads, the others have stone lintels. Small gabled half dormers with bargeboards to upper floor windows. Stack at each end of ridge. The rear of this house is half covered by a scullery extension with catslide roof. Dormer beside this. To the right of the main house is a single bay cottage with part glazed door on the left and a large window below a half dormer as above. Gable stack to right. Plain window in gable end. The rear elevation is blind with a small outshut on the ground floor.
Only the interior of the main house was inspected at resurvey (June 1997). This has a central entry leading to a lobby with the two main rooms opening off to left and right and the stair rising directly ahead. The joinery and fireplaces are original with chamfering and runout stops to the door-frames. This appears to be an unaltered mid C19 farmhouse interior.
Included as an unaltered example of an early/mid C19 Llanthony Estate farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings