History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Mumbles Railway Electricity Sub-Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Mumbles (Y Mwmbwls), Swansea

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.597 / 51°35'49"N

Longitude: -3.995 / 3°59'41"W

OS Eastings: 261916

OS Northings: 190573

OS Grid: SS619905

Mapcode National: GBR GX.DBBD

Mapcode Global: VH4KG.P4W1

Entry Name: Former Mumbles Railway Electricity Sub-Station

Listing Date: 11 February 1998

Last Amended: 29 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19323

Building Class: Transport

Location: To S of car park to Clyne Valley Country Park. Between Mumbles Road and sea.

County: Swansea

Town: Swansea

Community: Mumbles (Y Mwmbwls)

Community: Mumbles

Locality: Blackpill

Built-Up Area: Swansea

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Oystermouth

History

Built in 1927 (date on building) by Ernest Morgan, architect, for the Swansea & Mumbles Railway. The building contained two 500kW rotary converters (removed) which converted 6600V alternating current to 650V direct current to operate trams of the Swansea & Mumbles Railway by overhead wires. The building also served as Blackpill Station. The Railway had originated by an Act of 1804, and is claimed to have been the earliest passenger railway in the world, running a regular passenger service from 1807 until 1960.

Exterior

An electricity sub-station of brown brick with concrete dressings, and flat roof behind a plain parapet. Round-arched windows have an impost band and small-pane metal glazing with marginal lights. Facing the road (to W) are 5 windows, while to the L end is a doorway with its hood removed and a louvred vent over. In the S end wall are 2 lunettes and a broad doorway to the L. Facing the sea is a 6-bay Tuscan portico, above which are 2 lunettes and, in the parapet, a raised field inscribed 'Blackpill'. The N elevation has 2 lunettes.

Interior

The machinery removed but the interior retains its tiled floor and I-beams to the ceiling.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as the only substantial remaining structure of the Swansea & Mumbles Railway.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.