History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Porthcawl, Bridgend

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4845 / 51°29'4"N

Longitude: -3.6777 / 3°40'39"W

OS Eastings: 283602

OS Northings: 177506

OS Grid: SS836775

Mapcode National: GBR H8.KMNG

Mapcode Global: VH5HH.6YLC

Entry Name: The Old School

Listing Date: 17 February 1998

Last Amended: 17 February 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19357

Building Class: Education

Location: Opposite the Village Green and church and churchyard of St John the Baptist, at the foot of Clevis Hill which rises steeply to the rear.

County: Bridgend

Town: Porthcawl

Community: Porthcawl

Community: Porthcawl

Locality: Newton

Built-Up Area: Porthcawl

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Porthcawl

History

Built 1848 with accommodation for 96 children following Report of Commissioners of Inquiry into the State of Education in Wales 1847. Formerly comprised schoolmaster/mistress's house and attached school room, with yard and garden surrounding. Census of 1851 names Henry and Elizabeth Monro. Logbooks from 1874 survive. Replaced by Newton Council School in New Road 1906. Now used as parish hall and ground floor rooms have been combined. Fabric shows some alterations including to S side of schoolroom; porch at SW corner added 1890.

Exterior

Of rubble with plain or tooled ashlar dressings, large decorative painted bargeboards with deep finials to each gable; Welsh slate roof with blue ridge tiles, overhanging eaves and ashlar end stack right and external stack left. Plan of rectangular schoolroom with added porch wing and attached two bay school house with central porch and rear outshut. S schoolroom elevation has 3 windows with chamfered voussoirs and surrounds and painted stone sills, renewed glazing, plinth; central bay masonry shows some alteration; entrance porch with separate gable at left end. W schoolhouse elevation is 2 storey, with large gabled porch centre right; large quoins decoratively tooled; chamfered Tudor-arched doorways to porch and house, the latter with vertical panelled door; limewashed porch walls. On first floor similar gable to full dormer which has 2/2 pane casement window; ground floor window left with renewed glazing has chamfered voussoirs and surround, sill; single light window right of porch. To right double gable to school cross wing which has similar schoolroom window; matching smaller gable to added porch right with blocked doorway to street, no plinth and a battered corner. Single storey outshut to rear of house and added store to side. Boundary walls are of rubble with rough stone coping and roadside entrances with tooled ashlar piers and pyramidal finials.

Interior

Ground floor rooms joined together for community use.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a largely unaltered school and school house from the mid C19 in a prominent position in the village; group value with the church of St John the Baptist, the Churchyard Cross, St John's Well and Crown House.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.