This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4904 / 51°29'25"N
Longitude: -3.6757 / 3°40'32"W
OS Eastings: 283754
OS Northings: 178163
OS Grid: SS837781
Mapcode National: GBR H8.K855
Mapcode Global: VH5HH.7SMT
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 February 1998
Last Amended: 17 February 1998
Source ID: 19367
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the foot of Newton Down, a little N of Newton village, surrounded by conifers and reached by a track off the main road.
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1860s probably related to Inclosure Award of 1864 which involved enclosure of 800 acres (324 hectares) of Newton Down and Backs Common and transfer of remainder to owners of land in parish, in this case the owners of Danygraig House nearby. Original plans in Glamorgan Record Office are dated 1862 and were prepared for Sir Ivor Guest. These show house similar though not identical to its present shape suggesting plans were later amended; a second set of plans show a much more elborate building with more Gothic features including a turret, an unbuilt version. Architect David Vaughan of Bonvilston who practised 1840-1891.
Simple Gothic style. Built of coursed and snecked rock-faced masonary with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof with overhanging eaves, ridge and end stacks. Plan of two parallel wings with central passage joined by a front cross wing. 2 storeys and cellar. Main frontage has gabled bay right which breaks forward; margin-glazed sash window on each floor have Tudor-arched heads; in apex a small segmental pointed arched niche. To left a two window range of similar windows, one to ground floor. Central porch has steep pitched roof, stone steps to Tudor-arched doorway, niche above and chamfered two light side window; front door has elaborate surround incorporating 2 lancets each side, trefoil headed overlight and decorative spandrels. Side elevation to right has hipped roof to rear, similar sash windows and canted bay with pitched roof, overhanging eaves, segmental pointed lights; similar windows and bay to side elevation left.
Interior is partly refurbished but retains some window panelling and shutters, door surrounds and ceiling mouldings. Extensive cellar.
Listed together with its farm buildings as a complete planned farmstead of 1860s in mainly unaltered condition; group value with the Courtyard Farm Range.
Other nearby listed buildings