This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9305 / 51°55'49"N
Longitude: -3.524 / 3°31'26"W
OS Eastings: 295312
OS Northings: 226874
OS Grid: SN953268
Mapcode National: GBR YH.NJJ8
Mapcode Global: VH5FF.VQWY
Entry Name: Capel Sardis
Listing Date: 17 February 1998
Last Amended: 27 May 2005
Source ID: 19378
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on E side of the Cwm Camlais lane about 3 km S of junction with A40 opposite Abercamlais drive.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Congregational chapel built in 1840, a branch of Brychgoed chapel, Defynnog. Refused land by the Penpont estate, the members found land owned by sons of a Mr Davies of Sardis, Carmarthenshire, after which place the new chapel was named. Altered or rebuilt in 1860; the Georgian Gothic glazing to the sash windows has been altered since listing in 1998.
Chapel, painted rubble stone with slate roof. Entrance in long wall facing road, with cambered-headed doorway to left, with panelled door. Two slightly pointed windows with small-paned glazing and stone voussoirs and stone sills. Left gable end has 12-pane hornless sash window. Rear, at eaves level, has two square 4-pane windows, and one nine-pane hornless sash window below. Windowless rendered right gable.
Almost square plan with boarded ceiling and gallery on 3-sides, with rectangular panels to front, on plain iron classical columns. Panelled pulpit of c. 1860 on entry wall with turned balusters and Jacobethan newels with finials. Lobby with wooden screen at NW corner. Wooden pews.
Included, notwithstanding the modern glazing, for its special interest as a simple C19 rural chapel with some definite character.
Other nearby listed buildings