History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Benjamin Ferrior Tomb, Church of Saint Bridget

A Grade II Listed Building in Marloes and St. Brides (Marloes a Sain Ffrêd), Pembrokeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7531 / 51°45'11"N

Longitude: -5.1852 / 5°11'6"W

OS Eastings: 180246

OS Northings: 210846

OS Grid: SM802108

Mapcode National: GBR G2.XN6B

Mapcode Global: VH1RP.26MF

Entry Name: Benjamin Ferrior Tomb, Church of Saint Bridget

Listing Date: 23 February 1998

Last Amended: 23 February 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19398

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in the churchyard of the Church of Saint Bridget, S of the church and immediately W of the porch.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Haverfordwest

Community: Marloes and St. Brides (Marloes a Sain Ffrêd)

Community: Marloes and St. Brides

Locality: St Brides

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Marloes

History

Neo Grec table tomb to Benjamin Ferrior of Pearson or Pierston, who died in 1836, carved by Thomas Morgan of Haverfordwest.

Exterior

Table tomb to Benjamin Ferrior. Grey ashlar with slate sides. Ashlar slab base, battered sides with battered stone corner piers ornamented with an anthemion-type relief motif. Slate sides and ends trapezoidal in shape with inscription to Benjamin Ferrior Esq, late of Pearson and the Rev. Robert Ferrior, late of Pearson. Rear plaque to Richard Ferrior, died 1863. Heavy top slab with leaf cornice and ridged capstone in ashlar.

Reasons for Listing

An unusual and well-carved early C19 table tomb.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of Saint Bridget
    Situated some 100m SE of the coast at St Brides Haven, approximately 750m E of St Brides Castle.
  • II Cranford
    Former rectory of the Church of Saint Bridget and situated approximately 30m SE of the church at St Brides Haven.
  • II Lime Kiln at St Brides Haven
    Situated approximately 20m from the sea at St Brides Haven, some 90m NW of the Church of Saint Bridget.
  • II Pump House, reservoir and boundary wall
    Adjacent to the public toilets at St Brides Haven, near to the entrance drive to Cranford.
  • II* Gateway and walls to "The Abbey"
    Situated at St Brides Green, some 200m SW of St Brides Cross and some 200m SE of the coast at St Brides Haven.
  • II The Green
    Situated at St Brides Green, some 150m SW of St Brides Cross and forming the NE corner of the walls to "The Abbey".
  • II* St Brides Castle
    Situated in wooded parkland, overlooking and some 700m SW of St Brides Haven.
  • II East wall of Kitchen Garden, St Brides Castle
    Situated to S of stable yard, the kitchen-garden E wall prominently framing the W end of the lawn at St Brides Castle.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.