This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7529 / 51°45'10"N
Longitude: -5.1846 / 5°11'4"W
OS Eastings: 180292
OS Northings: 210827
OS Grid: SM802108
Mapcode National: GBR G2.XNCV
Mapcode Global: VH1RP.26ZJ
Entry Name: Cranford
Listing Date: 23 February 1998
Last Amended: 23 February 1998
Source ID: 19399
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Former rectory of the Church of Saint Bridget and situated approximately 30m SE of the church at St Brides Haven.
Community: Marloes and St. Brides (Marloes a Sain Ffrêd)
Community: Marloes and St. Brides
Locality: St Brides
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Former rectory of Saint Brides, probably late C18, built to an unusual design with broad gable-end facade, the roof carried sides to give a roughly square plan with central stack. The outswept-roof plan is rare, appearing also on the Cottage on Skokholm Island, probably also C18. The rectory is built at the end of the walled gardens of the former St Brides mansion abandoned in the mid C18, and a garden gate from the rectory garden into the main walled garden is dated 1757.
Former rectory slate-hung S front with rendered walls elsewhere, slate roof and massive central roughcast ridge stack. Two-storeys, gable end 3-window front with broad gable, centre slight projection with tall centre arched recess within which are a 12-pane sash each floor. Outer bays have small 12-pane sash each floor. Stone sills. Sides have generally C20 windows, E gabled porch. Rear is rendered with 4-window range of sashes, large 12-pane sashes to 2 centre bays.
Thoroughly remodelled in C20, the ground floor SE room has solid walls all round, possibly indicating an earlier core.
Included as a late C18 rectory with an unusual broad gable front with arched centrepiece and slate-hanging.
Other nearby listed buildings