This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7353 / 51°44'6"N
Longitude: -5.2386 / 5°14'19"W
OS Eastings: 176473
OS Northings: 209025
OS Grid: SM764090
Mapcode National: GBR G1.ZS44
Mapcode Global: VH0V6.4NW3
Entry Name: West Hook
Listing Date: 23 February 1998
Last Amended: 23 February 1998
Source ID: 19405
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated N of the minor road from Marloes to Martin's Haven and some 400m E of Martin's Haven.
Community: Marloes and St. Brides (Marloes a Sain Ffrêd)
Community: Marloes and St. Brides
Locality: Martin's Haven
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Farmhouse late C19 or early C20 incorporating much older, possibly C17, massive external chimneystack. East and West Hook were owned from the C16 to 1802 by the Runwa family, also called Runwae. Both farms were tenanted in 1786. West Hook was sold to the Philipps family. The Tithe Map of 1845 shows a holding of 107 acres (43 hectares)owned by William Philipps of St Brides Castle and occupied by Thomas Warlow.
Farmhouse, whitewashed rubble stone with grouted renewed roof and end stacks, brick to right, massive external stack possibly C17 to left. Two-storey E front with 4-pane sashes, two over centre porch, one-window range each side. Gabled porch with S side entry. One of the windows over is said to be recently inserted. Ground floor openings have brick heads and sills. Lean-to rear. Outbuilding on N end.
End chimney is exceptionally large, rendered and whitewashed, roughly square at base battered in on all 3 sides to short roughly square shaft.
Included for the regional character of this farmhouse which retains a massive external chimneybreast, a feature special to the region.
Other nearby listed buildings