This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7881 / 51°47'17"N
Longitude: -4.9081 / 4°54'29"W
OS Eastings: 199525
OS Northings: 213938
OS Grid: SM995139
Mapcode National: GBR CN.YH7G
Mapcode Global: VH1RM.WB42
Entry Name: Millin Cross Calvinistic Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 26 February 1998
Last Amended: 26 February 1998
Source ID: 19409
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the west side of the by-road, which runs from the A40 to Picton Ferry.
Community: Uzmaston, Boulston and Slebech (Uzmaston, Boulston a Slebets)
Locality: Millin Cross
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Built in 1866. Preaching occurred in the area following the 1859 Revival. In 1864, Rev. Stephen Jenkins of Haverfordwest preached a sermon at Rosecastle in return for stabling his horse before crossing Picton Ferry to Burnett's Hill Chapel across the Cleddau. The growth of similar internal meetings soon led to the desire for a chapel, and a plot of ground was obtained from the Picton Estate. The foundation stone was laid on 23rd February 1866, and the chapel was opened on October 3rd 1866, the first minister being Rev. W. James.
Constructed of local brown sandstone, with dressed grey limestone quoins and window surrounds. Slate roof. Deep plain eaves and barges. Gabled facade, the circular plaque reading: 'Millin Cross Calvinistic Methodist Chapel 1866'. Gabled centre porch with blind round arched window. Porch open on the right side to four-panel inner door. To each side of the porch, a narrow round-arched sash window: nine-over-nine panes with marginal glazing bars and upper radating bars. Painted stone sills.
To each side, two broad round-arched sash windows with sixteen-over fifteen panes, marginal glazing and upper radating bars. Sills as front. Stone-built later lean-to schoolroom to rear, two storeys with a shallow pitched sheeted roof. On the N side, a boarded door, with a 12-paned hornless sash window above: with boarded door and 4-paned sash, C20 window above.
No gallery. Open pine pews on a gentle rake. Small pulpit with round-arched panels. Plaster ceiling with moulded cornice. Central brass candelabra, now lacking its branches, but once a finely made piece of work.
Listed as an attractively designed wayside chapel with a simple unaltered interior, set in an idyllic location.
Other nearby listed buildings