This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8861 / 52°53'10"N
Longitude: -4.6263 / 4°37'34"W
OS Eastings: 223390
OS Northings: 335306
OS Grid: SH233353
Mapcode National: GBR 51.QBMW
Mapcode Global: WH338.XQ48
Entry Name: Gatehouse at Cefnamwlch
Listing Date: 2 March 1998
Last Amended: 2 March 1998
Source ID: 19428
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at the end and to the left of the main approach drive to Cefnamwlch, approximately 10m N of the NW corner of the main house.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Gatehouse of 1607, to Cefn Amwlch, aligned with the site of the medieval to C17 house demolished in 1813. One of three known in the Llyn, the others being Madryn and Bodvel, and of 19 in North Wales. Built for John Griffith, High Sheriff of Caernarfonshire 1604.
Gatehouse, rubble stone, with roofs of small graded slates. Large square stack to S end. Square plan, lofted with outside stairs on S end to loft door. 11 stone steps. Similar W and E fronts with centre gable over eaves-breaking 2-light stone-mullion window with hoodmould and lattice glazing. Flush chamfered mullions. Ground floor broad cambered arch with stone voussoirs. On W front a heraldic tablet under window with Griffith and Owen arms, the date 1607 above and initials IGIO for John Griffith and Jane Owen. SW corner stones project as if lower wall was intended to join to another range here. Within the passageway are 4 niches with stone seats and rough stone heads, 2 each side of double doors, studded plank with ogee-headed wicket-gate. Chamfered main beam with ogee stops, hewn joists.
Upper room has later roof and fireplace is concealed.
Graded II* as a fine example of a Jacobean gatehouse.
Other nearby listed buildings