This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7557 / 51°45'20"N
Longitude: -4.0616 / 4°3'41"W
OS Eastings: 257801
OS Northings: 208344
OS Grid: SN578083
Mapcode National: GBR GV.MJS2
Mapcode Global: VH4JN.K45F
Entry Name: Plas-Newydd Mill
Listing Date: 2 March 1998
Last Amended: 2 March 1998
Source ID: 19451
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Next to the Afon Gwili, approached along a narrow track, off the A 483 one mile N of the Pont Abraham roundabout.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
C18 mill with remains of big C19 cast-iron waterwheel and earlier corn-grinding machinery. The mill is marked on the Llanedi Tithe Map of 1841 which shows a curving mill pond to the NE. At that time the mill is known as Melyn Newydd, owned by David Edwards Esq. of Plas Newydd, and occupied by David Evans.
At E gable end; remains of large 13 ft. (4 mtrs) diameter undershot iron wheel with foundry mark 'T Jones Carmarthen'. Above wheel pit, in upper gable; opening with small batten door has timber lintel and stone sill. Course of former mill race visible but now blocked. S elevation has large off-centre vertical opening which rises from floor to eaves. To left: batten door at upper level. To right: on ground floor small casement window with flat stone lintel, then door opening with window opening in upper wall above (C20 lintels). Ground level rises at back of mill: N side has one off-centre opening at upper level and another at ground level with internal timber lintel.
Loft floor supports three millstones. Below remains of old wooden mill machinery: axletree of pit wheel meshed into smaller wallower wheel mounted on a wooden block. Above wallower wheel, spur wheel and drive shafts of three millstones, two mounted either end of sturdy timber frame and third mounted on a separate wooden rail in front. C20 roof.
A rare survival in this region of a small mill with well-preserved machinery, of unusual design incorporating three millstones.