This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.465 / 51°27'53"N
Longitude: -3.5511 / 3°33'4"W
OS Eastings: 292344
OS Northings: 175141
OS Grid: SS923751
Mapcode National: GBR HF.LX27
Mapcode Global: VH5HR.DFHT
Entry Name: Llampha Court and attached barn range
Listing Date: 3 March 1998
Last Amended: 3 March 1998
Source ID: 19457
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Near the S border of the community, S of the hamlet of Llampha, on the hillside above the Alun valley and reached by a long farm track.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Ewenny (Ewenni)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Early to mid C19. House and barn appear on Ewenny Tithe map 1842 in ownership of William Chute Hayton Gwinnett and on OS first edition map 1877 much as at present. Part of the Merthyr Mawr Estate. Barn shows evidence of being both widened and raised in gable end.
Comprises farmhouse and integral service wing left, and attached large barn at right angles to house. Built of rubble with dressed stone dressings; Welsh slate roof with ridge and end stacks to house. Two storey 4 window range to farmhouse of 8/8 pane sliding sashes with stone sills and segmental arched heads under stone voussoirs; to ground floor similar larger 30 pane windows in 3 sections to main house right either side of segmental arched doorway which has 4 pane rectangular overlight and boarded door; smaller window and door to service wing left. Rear outshut. Linking range to barn formerly open and supported by cast iron piers. Barn is battered to S, has some segmental arched openings, nearly full height formerly double doorway to right; stone steps at left gable end to former granary or loft, stable below; all boarded doors. Further ranges attached to rear.
Service room left retains flagged floor, oven built into side wall and separate built-in boiler adjacent, boarded ceiling to joists. Main house retains original central entry plan though stairs renewed. Room left has voussoired fireplace with wood settle attached to wall; wide 4 panelled doors, grained door surrounds. Attached farm range has roof of tie beam and struts. Barn now divided into 2 storeys in 3 units, the centre also divided lengthwise.
Included as a mainly unaltered farmstead from the first half of the C19.
Other nearby listed buildings