History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge over Afon Ewenni

A Grade II Listed Building in Pencoed, Bridgend

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5269 / 51°31'37"N

Longitude: -3.4928 / 3°29'34"W

OS Eastings: 296535

OS Northings: 181949

OS Grid: SS965819

Mapcode National: GBR HJ.H04J

Mapcode Global: VH5HD.DWV9

Entry Name: Bridge over Afon Ewenni

Listing Date: 4 March 1998

Last Amended: 4 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19480

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located off the S side of Penybont Road (B4280), W of a large roundabout at Tregroes, and 0.7km NE of Pencoed. The bridge carries a narrow track to the rear of dwellings along Penybont Road.

County: Bridgend

Community: Pencoed (Pen-coed)

Community: Pencoed

Locality: Tregroes

Built-Up Area: Pencoed

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Pencoed

History

C18 or earlier. A major route is shown in this location on Yates’ map of 1799. The bridge was replaced by a new bridge (known as Newydd Bont) c 40m to the NW, which must have coincided with the re-routing of the road (B4280). This occurred between 1841 and 1885, probably in connection with the South Wales Railway which opened in 1850.

Exterior

Skewed single-span bridge with slightly hump-backed deck. Low segmental arch with narrow voussoirs and keystone. Constructed of roughly coursed flat masonry blocks. The parapets have chamfered copings but part of the E parapet has been rebuilt in concrete. The NW angle of the bridge is obtuse because of the skewed plan, and is supported by a diaphragm arch consisting of voussoirs, with corbelled masonry below. This may be a later addition. On the NW side of the deck is a vertical stone block, designed to stop carts hitting the parapet. Walls continue from the parapets along the riverside.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an early road bridge retaining its character.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Bridge at Tregroes
    Located on the driveway leading to Tregroes House, just before the drive forms a circle in front of
  • II Tregroes aka Pencoed College
    Located on the NE side of Pencoed village off the A473. Approached by a sweeping driveway which for
  • II Church of St David
    Located on the W side of Penprysg Road to the N of Pencoed County Junior School. The church is situ
  • II War Memorial and Railings
    Located in the centre of Pencoed at the junction of Coychurch Road, Hendre Road and Penybont Road.
  • II Barn at Bryngwenith
    Situated on low lying ground N of Pencoed, at the end of a short track. The barn forms the E side o
  • II Salem Chapel
    Located on the E side of Coychurch Road, 0.4km S of the village centre. The chapel is fronted by low
  • II Brynnau Gwynion Overbridge
    To the south west of Brynnau Gwynion, south of the minor road leading to the A473.
  • II Milestone, Coychurch Road
    Located on the W side of Coychurch Road (B4280), the main road through Pencoed. The milestone is at

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.