This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3088 / 53°18'31"N
Longitude: -4.4897 / 4°29'22"W
OS Eastings: 234216
OS Northings: 381981
OS Grid: SH342819
Mapcode National: GBR HM9Y.L65
Mapcode Global: WH42K.03B8
Entry Name: Pandy Llewenan
Listing Date: 4 March 1998
Last Amended: 4 March 1998
Source ID: 19487
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located on the W side of Llyn Llywenan, reached via a track leading off a minor road. Mill group including mill range, dyeing house and house.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Locality: Pen Llyn
Traditional County: Anglesey
Pandy Llewenan was established as a carding, spinning and fulling mill around 1810, following the closure of the original mill at Pen Llywenan (to the E) at the end of the C18, which had been concerned with dyeing and fulling for at least 100 years previously. The contents of the original fulling mill at Pen Llywenan were valued and sold for £32 17s.3d. (£32.87) in 1782, including 3 spinning wheels, the press of the fulling mill and 2 fullers shears, among furniture and household goods. The present mill was built to replace the original pandy, and is recorded in a survey of the Presaddfed and Dronwy Estate (dated 1808), as the property of Sir John Bulkeley. The accompanying map shows the pandy as T-shaped in plan, with a mill pool to the E fed from the overflow from the corn-mill (Factory Llewenan) 300m NE. The pandy was run in conjunction with a smallholding of 17 acres (7ha). The inclusion of spinning within the factory was innovative on Anglesey; previously spinning and weaving was carried out at the home, and fulling only carried out at mills. Power looms were introduced to the mill in the 1890s, and new spinning machinery was installed in the former corn-mill (Factory Llewenan) c1900-5, after which time the pandy concentrated on weaving, fulling and dying. A steam engine was installed in the late C19, to power the machinery when water levels were low. In the early C20 the mill was producing woollen material for local use, particularly heavy protective clothing for farm workers. In 1940 the mill was bought by the present owner and began producing tweed for fashion garments and sports jackets, when it was known as the 'Anglesey Tweed Mill'. The mill was the last woollen mill to work on Anglesey, closing down in 1955, when it was recorded as having, amongst other items, 2 hand looms and a power loom (on the first floor), and a 120" ( 3m) warping mill and creel on the ground floor.
The mill range was built in 3 main phases; the original mill, at the S end of the range, is a 2 storey building, originally with hand-looms on the first floor. The original water wheel was on the S gable end; a second wheel was added to the N gable end, with a second building added to cover the wheel and provide more woking space for new machinery. A second extension was later added to the N gable end of the addition.
Woollen mill group including large mill range and dyeing house (separately listed). The woollen mill range is aligned N-S and built in two halves; that to the S being the original early C19 factory building, with an extension to the N including domestic accommodation. Both buildings are built of rubble masonry, with pitched roofs of old slates, with rubble kneelers and coping to original mill. The original mill is a two storey, 3-bay building, with recessed segmental rubble voussoir heads to doorways and ground floor factory windows; wood lintels to first floor openings. All windows have been modernised, probably retaining original openings. Wheel pit at the lower (S) gable end of the factory, containing a small overshot iron-rimmed wheel with curved sheet-iron buckets. The N half of the mill is separated by a wide passage, arched on the E side, and formerly containing a second waterwheel pit. The N addition is a 2 storey range of similar proportions to the factory; with a chimney to the N gable end. Original door with recessed segmental rubble voussoir head, partly blocked to form a window. Small single storey addition to N gable wall.
The mill building is of 3 bays. Little machinery remains, other than a driveshaft and belt-wheel on the first floor.
Listed notwithstanding the removal of mill machinery, as a rare and early example of an integrated woollen factory on Anglesey.
Other nearby listed buildings