History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone

A Grade II Listed Building in Bodedern, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2761 / 53°16'34"N

Longitude: -4.5216 / 4°31'17"W

OS Eastings: 231965

OS Northings: 378427

OS Grid: SH319784

Mapcode National: GBR HN61.9LK

Mapcode Global: WH42J.JX2B

Entry Name: Milestone

Listing Date: 4 March 1998

Last Amended: 4 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19493

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located on the N side of the A5 (T), in front of the wall between the entrances to Penmynydd and Heulfre, E of Caergeiliog.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Bodedern

Community: Bodedern

Locality: Caergeiliog

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Bodedern

History

Following the Act of Union in 1801 a programme to improve the roads between the two capital cities of London and Dublin was initiated. In 1811 Thomas Telford was commissioned to undertake a survey of the roads between London and Holyhead and in 1817 began work on the northern stretch of the road at Shrewsbury. As well as overseeing the work, Thomas Telford also designed every detail of the road, and this milestone is one of a number designed for it c.1817-32.

Exterior

Dressed granite slab, set into wall, with shallow triangular head and raking chamfered sides. Cast iron inset plate with lettering reading: HOLY- / HEAD / 6 / MONA / 7 / BANGOR / 19.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine example of one of Telford's milestones retaining its cast iron plate.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Caergeiliog Chapel
    Located in a slightly elevated position, set back slightly from the S side of the A5(T) Holyhead Road at the SW end of the village of Caergeiliog. Chapel house is at W side of walled yard to front of
  • II Caergeiliog Chapel House with stables and cartshed
    Located in a slightly elevated position, set back slightly from the S side of the A5(T) Holyhead Road at the SW end of the village of Caergeiliog. Chapel house is at W side of walled yard to front of
  • II Church of St Mihangel
    Set within an enclosed rectangular wall churchyard at the SE side of Minffordd Road in the centre of Llanfihangel yn Nhowyn.
  • II Siloh Baptist Chapel and Chapel House with walls, railings and gates
    Located in the centre of the village of Caergeiliog, set back from the S side of the A5(T) Holyhead Road. The chapel and chapel house are set within enclosed grounds bounded by a low rubble wall with
  • II Caergeiliog Tollhouse
    Located on the S side of the A5(T) Holyhead Road, at the junction with the road leading to Llanfair-yn-neubwll, at the NW end of the village of Caergeiliog.
  • II Milestone
    Located on the N side of the A5(T), Holyhead Road. NW of Caergeiliog Tollhouse, at the NW end of the village of Caergeiliog.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.