This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6377 / 52°38'15"N
Longitude: -3.1148 / 3°6'53"W
OS Eastings: 324658
OS Northings: 305019
OS Grid: SJ246050
Mapcode National: GBR B1.6XGY
Mapcode Global: WH79Q.4Y1S
Entry Name: Park House
Listing Date: 20 March 1998
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 19500
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 1.1km SSE of Leighton church and situated S of a minor road E of Leighton Farm.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Probably an early C18 stone cottage to which a new brick wing was added late C18 to form a substantial double-pile house. Two subsequent phases of alterations appear to be C19. Firstly, the roof was raised to accommodate an attic storey and iron-frame windows were inserted into earlier, smaller openings; secondly, sash windows were inserted at a later phase. The latter phase is probably connected with John Naylor's ownership of the Leighton Estate, which he acquired 1846-47. Naylor, a Liverpool banker, embarked on an ambitious programme of building, notably Leighton Hall, church and Leighton Farm, all designed by Gee and largely completed by the mid 1850s. In addition, he also improved many of the earlier dwellings on the Estate. Until his death in 1889 Naylor continued improving the buildings on his estate. His grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold the Estate in 1931.
Two-storey house facing E with attic and basement consisting of a late C18 main range with parallel rear range of early C18 and lower single-storey wings to N and S. The main elevations are of brick, although the wings are mainly of random rubble. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and fretted barge boards to main and rear ranges (and with pendant finials to front range) added in C19 in typical estate style. The main range has a central 2-stage ridge stack. It is double-fronted with lobby-entry plan, and with plat band and slightly advanced plinth. In the upper storey are 3 windows in wood frames with transoms, incorporating iron-framed, small pane casements. In the lower storey is a similar window to L in an opening enlarged from an earlier segmental-headed opening. A similar but large 8-light window to R added at the same time, possibly to light a workshop or office. The doorway is centrally-placed and has a boarded door under a segmental head. In the gable ends are 2-light small-pane casements in attic, below which is a casement window in S gable end (enlarged from an earlier segmental headed opening) and a blocked window under a segmental head in the N gable end into which a small casement is inserted. The parallel rear range has an end brick stack with corbelled cap at S end. In the S gable end it has a small blocked window below the verge and in the lower storey is a bay window inserted C19 on a stone plinth with a small basement opening beneath it. The N gable end is random rubble and has a blocked door in basement to R and casement windows in the lower and upper storeys. The rear elevation is a 3-window range with sash windows in brick surrounds. In the basement is a boarded door to R, a blocked window to L and a small fixed light in the centre, all under segmental stone heads. The N wing has an original full-height opening to front now with modern door and window inserted, and was possibly a small cart shed (it also has a rubble stone outshut added to its rear and a modern garage further N). The S wing is advanced forward and in the angle with the main range is a sash window in a wooden architrave inserted C19 into an earlier doorway. In the rear elevation are a sash window and blocked door. Slate roof with added brick stack to L.
Not inspected (January 1997).
An C18 house retaining much of its early character, also of interest for its remodelling in the C19 when part of John Naylor’s Leighton Estate, an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development and the most complete example of its type in Wales. Park House is an important element of this whole ensemble at Leighton.
Other nearby listed buildings