History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge South East of Old Cable House

A Grade II Listed Building in Forden with Leighton and Trelystan, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.6381 / 52°38'17"N

Longitude: -3.1128 / 3°6'46"W

OS Eastings: 324792

OS Northings: 305063

OS Grid: SJ247050

Mapcode National: GBR B1.6Y0L

Mapcode Global: WH79Q.4YZG

Entry Name: Bridge South East of Old Cable House

Listing Date: 20 March 1998

Last Amended: 20 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19503

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Located approximately 0.5km E of Leighton Farm on the S side of a private forest road E of Leighton Farm at the foot of a woodland plantation. The bridge is SE of the Old Cable House. It spans a sto

County: Powys

Town: Forden

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan

Locality: Leighton

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in


Erected late 1850s to carry a pipe across a leat to the Lower Cable House, where it fed water to a turbine providing power for an inclined plane. The water was also taken beyond the Cable House to Leighton Farm. The pipe was buried below the deck, the bridge also being used by pedestrians, it leading across a leat to a network of woodland paths. The bridge was an integral part of the Leighton Estate, acquired by the Liverpool banker John Naylor in 1846-47. Here he embarked on an ambitious programme of building, principally Leighton Hall, church and Farm, which was largely completed by the mid 1850s. He continued to extend and improve the Estate until his death in 1889. His grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold the Estate in 1931. Naylor introduced new rational farming methods at Leighton, applying techniques derived from science and industry, including the pioneering use of turbines and hydraulic rams, with which the bridge is closely associated. It also combined a practical with a leisure function as part of the network of woodland paths at Leighton, representing the dual purpose of Naylor’s planned landscape.


Single-span bridge with a sloping deck. Of coursed sandstone with a round arch. The parapet is of snecked, rock-faced Cefn stone and is stepped. It has a plinth band above a plain corbel table, saddleback copings, and ends in square piers with pyramidal caps.

Reasons for Listing

The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. The bridge is an important element of this whole ensemble at Leighton. It is also a component of the remarkable and ambitious application of advanced technology at Leighton, while its distinctive and ornamental character expresses the dual purpose of Leighton as a highly-planned landscape serving the needs of work and leisure.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Leat to Park Pool
    Located approximately 1.0km SE of Leighton church and situated in a woodland plantation on the S sid
  • II The Old Cable House
    Located approximately 1.0km SE of Leighton church and 0.5km E of Leighton Farm, on N side of an unme
  • II Park Cottage
    Located approximately 1.0km SSE of Leighton church on the N side of a minor road E of Leighton Farm
  • II Brook House
    Located approximately 1.0km SSE of Leighton church beneath Moel y Mab and situated on N side of an u
  • II Brook House Tank
    On N side and in garden of Brook House, and built on sloping ground.
  • II Park House
    Located approximately 1.1km SSE of Leighton church and situated S of a minor road E of Leighton Farm
  • II Upper Cable House
    Located approximately 1km SE of Leighton church and reached by a path S of Leighton House.
  • II Hollybush Cottage
    Located approximately 1.3km SE of Leighton church and on S side of a private forest road E of Leight

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.