This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.633 / 52°37'58"N
Longitude: -3.1219 / 3°7'18"W
OS Eastings: 324165
OS Northings: 304503
OS Grid: SJ241045
Mapcode National: GBR B1.7814
Mapcode Global: WH79X.02NT
Entry Name: Boundary wall S of Leighton Hall Tower
Listing Date: 24 December 1982
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 19527
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated S of Leighton Hall Tower and forming W side of a terrace walk and E side of a now disused service road.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Locality: Leighton Park
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Designed by Edward Kemp, a pupil of Joseph Paxton, c1860 and part of the formal gardens at Leighton Hall. Leighton Hall has formal gardens S of the library wing and SE of the tower. In contrast, NE of the Hall and Tower it has a landscape garden which was planted with trees and shrubs, its woodland walks also contrasting with the terrace walks of the formal garden.
John Naylor, a Liverpool banker, had acquired the Leighton Estate in 1846-47 and embarked on an ambitious programme of building, notably Leighton Hall, church and Leighton Farm, all designed by W.H. Gee and completed by the mid 1850s. Leighton Hall had been constructed 1850-56. John Naylor's grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold Leighton Hall and the Estate in 1931.
Boundary wall approximately 50m in length of coursed, rock-faced Cefn stone with ashlar dressings and ramped coping. At its S end it terminates in an octagonal pier with a conical cap over a frieze of blank shields. The inner face (to a terrace walk in the gardens of Leighton Hall) has stepped buttresses. A doorway towards the S end has a pointed head and a boarded door.
The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. Leighton Hall represents the centrepiece of this development, and the garden features are a key element in the setting of the house. The gardens, of which the boundary wall is a strong component, are also a tour-de-force of landscaping while their individual components are remarkable for their consistency of design and the extent of their survival.
Other nearby listed buildings