This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6279 / 52°37'40"N
Longitude: -3.1195 / 3°7'10"W
OS Eastings: 324320
OS Northings: 303941
OS Grid: SJ243039
Mapcode National: GBR B1.7GNH
Mapcode Global: WH79X.16SP
Entry Name: Boundary Wall of Leighton Estate
Listing Date: 20 March 1998
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 19536
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 2.0km S of Leighton church. The wall is situated S of Pine Lodge and begins on E side of B4388. At its SE end it continues as a low plinth with railings.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Locality: Leighton Park
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Early 1850s and probably defining the boundary of the Leighton Estate as it existed when John Naylor first acquired it. Naylor, a Liverpool banker, had acquired the Leighton Estate in 1846-47 and embarked on an ambitious programme of building, notably Leighton Hall, church and Leighton Farm, all designed by W.H. Gee and completed by the mid 1850s. Leighton Hall was constructed 1850-56. Naylor continued to extend and improve the Estate until his death in 1889. His grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold Leighton Hall and the Estate in 1931.
Boundary wall approximately 250m long in NW-SE orientation which curves southwards at SE end. Rubble stone wall with saddleback coping, interspersed with piers of snecked stone.
The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. The boundary wall is an important element of this whole ensemble at Leighton.
Other nearby listed buildings