This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6023 / 52°36'8"N
Longitude: -3.0915 / 3°5'29"W
OS Eastings: 326170
OS Northings: 301064
OS Grid: SJ261010
Mapcode National: GBR B2.93K7
Mapcode Global: WH79X.HV2C
Entry Name: Dovecote at Gunley Hall
Listing Date: 26 October 1953
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 19561
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located to the E of the former stables of Gunley Hall, in a small wooded area in the corner of a field.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Built late C18 or early C19 for the Pryce family of Gunley Hall.
Built of brick, octagonal in plan with pilaster buttresses stressing the angles extending to full height. Pyramidal hipped slate roof and boarded eaves. Entrance is a boarded door on the NE side facing the stables.
Circular internally, with 17 tiers of nest boxes above the low plinth, each with a slightly projecting brick flight ledge, 40 boxes in each tier, totalling approximately 660 nests. In the centre, a stone-built drum, approximately 80cm high, carrying the potence, with a braced frame to the perimeter ladder. The potence is supported by a bearing in cross trees level with the wall top. The glover has disappeared.
Included as a virtuelly complete dovecote retaining its original potence, and part of a group of buildings at Gunley Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings