History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nantcribba Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan), Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6055 / 52°36'19"N

Longitude: -3.1214 / 3°7'16"W

OS Eastings: 324155

OS Northings: 301447

OS Grid: SJ241014

Mapcode National: GBR B1.8VKQ

Mapcode Global: WH79X.0RXX

Entry Name: Nantcribba Cottages

Listing Date: 20 March 1998

Last Amended: 20 March 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19570

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Approximately 1.4km ENE of Forden church, on W side of A490 on N side of junction with private road to Nantcribba Farm.

County: Powys

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)

Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan

Locality: Nantcribba

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Forden

History

Probably built as farm workers cottages for Nantcribba Farm by John Naylor c1874, part of the Leighton Estate. Naylor acquired the Estate in 1846-47 and embarked on an ambitious programme of building, principally Leighton Hall, church and Farm, which was largely completed by the mid 1850s. He continued to extend and improve the Estate until his death in 1889. His grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold the Estate in 1931.

Exterior

Pair of one-and-a-half storey cottages of brick with tooled stone dressings and quoins. Slate roof and 3 brick ridge stacks. Five-window front with 2 advanced cross-gables symmetrically placed R and L of centre. The openings have stone lintels with cambered mouldings and the windows have stone sills. In the lower storey are 12-pane sashes, with the 2 front doors (both replaced) between the cross-gables. Above are half-dormers on moulded corbels and with 9-pane sashes to R and L, round-headed sash windows in cross-gables, and a half-dormer with 2-light casement in the centre. The gable ends have 12-pane sash windows. To the rear are advanced cross-gables balancing the front. Planked doors to L and R, 12-pane sash windows with similar round-headed windows above in cross-gables, with sash windows and smaller windows above between the cross-gables.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. The farm at Nantcribba is an important element of this whole ensemble, and the cottages are an integral part of the farm group. They are well-detailed in a style characteristic of the Leighton Estate.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Farm Buildings at Nantcribba
    Located immediately E of the farmhouse, at the end of the farm road.
  • II Nantcribba
    Located on a site of considerable historic importance, with adjoining earthwork castle and moated site. It is reached by a farm road crossing Offa's Dyke between the hamlets of Kingswood and Forden,
  • II Llwynyrhededd
    Located overlooking the Camlad valley, on the W side of the farm road, off the Marton Road 600m W of Gunley.
  • II Mile marker on the Montygomery to Welshpool Road
    The mile marker stands at the N end of the village of Kingswood on the N side of the road to Leighton, and 120m N of Birds Corner.
  • II Church of St Michael
    Located beside the main road from Forden to Gaer, 500m W of its junction with the main A490 from Welshpool to Montgomery.
  • II Sundial in Chuchyard, Church of St Michael
    Located in the churchyard by the path to the tower door, approximately 16m S of the tower.
  • II Edderton Hall Hotel
    Located on a hilltop overlooking the Severn valley, and reached by a long driveway off the main Welshpool to Ludlow Road, 5 kilometres S of Welshpool.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.