This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9869 / 52°59'12"N
Longitude: -3.5037 / 3°30'13"W
OS Eastings: 299153
OS Northings: 344345
OS Grid: SH991443
Mapcode National: GBR 6J.HTMT
Mapcode Global: WH66V.45VZ
Entry Name: Pont Glyn-diffwys
Listing Date: 1 April 1998
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 19583
Building Class: Transport
Location: The bridge is located W of Dinmael, and carries the road from the junction with the Holyhead Road over the Afon Ceirw, to Cwm Main and beyond.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built in the C18, probably before 1794 when the crown was raised by 15in (38cm) and partly rebuilt by Thomas Penson, surveyor, to carry a minor road over the Penybont ravine and falls. The bridge was apparently known to George Borrow as Glyn Bin.
Built of local rubble stone. A single segmental arch spanning approximately 11m between rock abutments, the soffit rising to c18.0m above water level. The arch is formed of 50cm deep rubble voussoirs slightly set in under a projecting regulating course, above which flush spandrels extend up into a flush stone-coped parapet, now provided with safety wires. The width of the bridge between parallel sides is 5.6m, providing a 4.7m width level carriageway between the parapets, which splay slightly outwards at the ends to terminate in square piers.
Included as a fine and little altered country bridge dramatically spanning the ravine containing the Penybont falls. Of group value with the adjoining listed section of the Holyhead Road.
Other nearby listed buildings